Support Our Endowment Campaign
Help Save Lives through New Ideas
80% of brilliant, scientific research ideas never get to the bench…
which is why the Be A Life Changer™ Endowment Campaign is essential.
No one knows which bench research will lead to breakthrough science that will transform the treatment or solution of cancer, but without bench research, we will never know. That’s why the OCR Endowment Campaign was launched…to support more talented, young scientists. Not all scientists can be supported, which is why the OCR Scientific Review Committee has high-level scrutiny of grant requests funding only those with the most potential for breakthroughs. OCR knows they’re on the right track because more than 70% of seed money research recipients are awarded additional dollars from national funding sources.
- National Institutes of Health (NIH) only fund 18% of ALL research funding requests.
- NIH funding is on the chopping block for the upcoming fiscal budget.
- Historically, OCR funds approximately 20% of all funding requests.
- Recipients of OCR’s seed money research leverages the funding by almost 320%.
- Cancer remains one of the top causes of death.
- New treatment modalities are extending the lives of cancer victims.
Bench Research leads to Bedside Impact
Without primary research, scientific breakthroughs can’t happen. Experimenting, testing, hypothesizing and learning are all done at the bench. Once those breakthroughs occur, clinical testing and new methods of treating different forms of cancer can occur. But it starts at the bench.
Why an endowment?
An endowment is a fund that is restricted. Only the interest from the fund can be spent, not the principal that anchors the endowment.
Usually, only a portion of the interest or earnings from the endowment (typically five percent) can be spent annually to make sure that the original funds grow over time. Professional money managers often oversee endowment funds, investing the money in stocks, bonds, and other investments.
OCR has a special committee appointed to provide oversight of the Endowment Fund, to make investment decisions, as well as distribution approvals. An Endowment Policy drives the activities of the committee and the fund resides in an account separate from operations dollars.
Levels of Gifts to Endowment Campaign
- Chair Endowment: $1 million
- Fellow Endowment: $750,000
- Resident Endowment: $500,000
- Intern Endowment: $250,000
Other Donor Opportunities:
- Innovator Scholarship Endowment: $100,000 and less
- Life Changer Scholarship Endowment: $100,000 and less
For naming and recognition opportunities, or contributions to the Innovator and Life Changer Scholarships, please discuss your giving intentions with our staff. To schedule an appointment or for more information, call: Bill Boggess at 614.224.1127.
Ohio Cancer Research is a 501 (c)(3) organization.
Donations are tax deductible as permitted by law. (EIN 31-1038309)